Soba Noodles with Miso Broth
Soba Noodles with Miso Broth from Cooking Light.
I had to deviate from Bon Appetite’s Food Lover’s cleanse for tonight’s dinner after failing to find clams at the local fishmonger in Bologna. The Bon Appetite dinner for the night was supposed to be Sake-Steamed Clams with Soba Noodles. Having already bought some buckwheat vermicelli noodles, I searched the web for an Asian vegetarian noodle soup and settled on this one. I altered the recipe slightly, working with the ingredients I had on hand. I added some slightly steamed broccoli to the mix, left out the cabbage and green onions, and of course topped it with some sriracha.
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms
9 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (5-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced
1 whole garlic head, peeled and crushed
3 tablespoons yellow miso (soybean paste)
1 (14-ounce) package extrafirm tofu, drained and diced
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
12 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
1 1/2 cups shredded napa (Chinese) cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrots $
1/2 cup finely sliced green onions
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Reserve stems. Slice mushroom caps into (1/4-inch) julienne strips; set aside.
- Combine stems, broth, ginger, and garlic in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Strain broth through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Add miso to broth, stirring well with a whisk. Add tofu. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms caps and pepper to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until browned. Add to broth mixture.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
- Place 2/3 cup noodles into each of 6 shallow bowls; pour 1 1/2 cups hot broth mixture over each serving. Garnish each serving with 1/4 cup cabbage, about 1 1/2 tablespoons carrots, about 1 1/2 tablespoons onions, and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup noodles, 1 1/2 cups broth, 1/4 cup cabbage, about 1 1/2 tablespoons carrots, about 1 1/2 tablespoons onions, and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds)